- Red hair is seen on the heads of only four percent of people. Most of these exist in the U.K., the Republic of Ireland, and Australia.
- Red hair is a genetic mutation.
- The color Green tempers red.
- In the early 1600’s, at the end of the reign of Queen Elizabeth I, the belief of Pixies (aka fairies) emerged in southwest England. They were then and have since been strongly associated with red hair for their mischievousness and otherworldly talents.
- Adults have about 120,000 hairs on their head; redheads have fewer, blondes have more, brunettes have the most.
- Red hair is, genetically speaking, a recessive trait. It may appear after several generations of darker hair.
- In the late 16th century, the fat of a redheaded man was an essential ingredient for poison.
- In central Africa’s Cameroon redheaded albinos, called Nguenguerous, are believed also to come by this color by menstrual intercourse. The UN and other world organizations have studied and advocated for their rights as there have been allegations of the ritual murders in some regions of Africa.
- “Ill beat you like a redheaded stepchild”. This phrase was born out of the American south and implies the status of illegitimate offspring with a white master.
- Adolph Hitler reportedly banned the marriages of two redheads as he feared their children would be “deviant offspring”.
- The Romans kept red haired slaves, and at a higher price.
*these facts are pulled from some girls website. i have doubled checked and everything seems all good 🙂